Saturday, April 6, 2013

Soap Cakes Challenge Week 2

Elemental Swirl

Week 2 of the Soap Cakes Challenge (http://www.greatcakessoapworks.com/handmade-soap-blog) was "in the pot" elemental 6 colour swirl.  For this challenge I did a small quiz on the internet to determine my "elements".  I doubt it's very accurate but it turns out that my "element" is earth followed by air.  I decided to use green for the earth and blue for the air.  For scent I used Green Grass FO (earth) and Lilac (air).

For me the in the pot swirl was more of an in the pot glop as my soap traced very quickly despite not even attempting to use the stick blender.  I had researched the Green Grass and it was not supposed to accelerate trace but wow it moved fast.  Much worse than the Lilac which I was expecting to move a little quickly.

Still, I soldiered on : )  I managed to get all my little blobs in the pot and then poured (scooped) my base into the mold and gave it a swirl.  It was followed by my mica pencil line and then another pour (scoop) of the top layer was glopped into the mold.

I was a little worried about my blues as one of the shades turned the ugliest shade of brown but thankfully turned out o.k.

I was very nervous cutting and expected the worst but it actually turned out o.k.  I made mine early in the week and had planned a re-do for the challenge using a castile recipe but somehow time just ran away from me.  I do plan on trying again and hope that I can keep my soap from getting so thick before I get a chance to swirl.


7 comments:

  1. Jody I love the colours you chose they are so rich. That is a lovely soapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think it turned out very nice!! I'd never know your soap set up - that is strange that the grass one would set up faster than the lilac!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so too Amy but all's well that ends well : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - very original look, reminds me of forest fairies! I like the contrasting pencil line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comments 😘

    ReplyDelete